Named by National Geographic as one of the “World’s Top 15 Trails”, the YGT has reached almost mythical status since SYMG designed it in 2009. It’s now featured as one of the “25 Classic Hikes in North America” by famed Adventurer Peter Potterfield. The route is a 50-mile hiking traverse through the heart of Yosemite and spends equal time in the most remote and most iconic regions of the park. Highlights include an ascent of Cloud’s Rest, entering Yosemite via 11,000ft Isberg Pass, a section of the John Muir Trail, and a lakeside camp beneath the famous Cathedral Peak.
2024: $2995 per person
Price based on shared hotel occupancy
Single Room Supplement:
Requested $110, Forced $55
Explore Custom Trip Options
- 1st night’s lodging at Fairfield Inn & Suites in Fresno
- 6 nights of wilderness tent camping (permits included)
- All group gear including stoves, cookware, water filters, group first aid kit, etc.
- Personal backpacking gear provided by request: backpacks, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, trekking poles, and tents
- Day 2 private shuttle from Fresno to starting trailhead
- Day 8 private shuttle from ending trailhead to Fresno
- Starting with breakfast on Day 2 and ending with lunch on Day 8
- Backcountry gourmet meals including trail snacks
- Hot tea or coffee served each morning
A Few More Notes
Travel & Logistics
This trip begins and ends in at the Fairfield Inn & Suites in Fresno, CA. The hotel is conveniently located across the street from the Fresno Yosemite International Airport and provides a complimentary shuttle service from the airport if needed. Plan to arrive at the hotel before 6pm so you can meet your guides and group for your trip orientation. If you are driving to Fresno, you are welcome to leave your vehicle parked at the hotel during your trip for no additional fee. Any additional luggage you have can be stored at our secure facility during your trip. At the end of the trip, a private shuttle will pick up the group in Yosemite Valley and will drop off at the Fresno airport or at the Fairfield Inn. We recommend booking flights no earlier than 6pm on the last day.
Training & Preparation
To ensure the most enjoyable and successful experience out on the trail, we recommend a rigorous training plan leading up to your trip, focusing on:
- Endurance, cardio, and aerobic activities
- Core and leg strength (don’t forget those abs and quads)!
- Day hikes or short overnight trips with a weighted pack (30-35lbs) to train for both the physical and mental aspects of backpacking
- Cycling, running, step-master or stairs are great cross-training
- Include hilly terrain and steep climbs whenever possible
We strongly encourage having recent backpacking experience or practice before embarking on this trip. The most successful people on these trips have completed a previous backpacking trip carrying a fully weighted pack (35-40lbs) for 3-5 days. If you do not have this experience, we recommend having a comparable level of fitness and committing to a detailed training plan. you could also consider joining us on a “shake-out” trip prior to the Yosemite Grand Traverse.
What's Not Included
- Personal clothing & footwear
- Dinner on the first night in Fresno
- Recommended 10%-20% gratuity for guides
- Trip Insurance (strongly recommended)
David H, 2019
Peter R, 2018
Sarah H, 2016
Lilly W, 2017
Alex Farr, 2017
Jim S, 2014
Scott R, 2014
Stefan B, 2013