Combine the remote crossing of Yosemite on SYMG’s award winning Yosemite Grand Traverse (chosen 25 Best New Trips in 2007 National Geographic Adventure Magazine) with the luxury of the mules carrying your gear and you have the makings of a memorable vacation! This pack trip is a 50-mile hiking traverse through the heart of Yosemite and spends equal time in the most remote and iconic regions of the park. Highlights include an ascent of Cloud’s Rest, entering Yosemite via 11,000ft Isberg Pass, a section of the John Muir Trail, and a lakeside camp beneath the famous Cathedral Peak. This stock-supported version ups the ante with exceptional food, comfy camp amenities, and leaving you to hike unburdened each day with just a small daypack.
2024: $4995 per person
Price based on shared hotel occupancy
Single Room Supplement:
Requested $110, Forced $55
Explore Custom Trip Options
- 1st night’s lodging at Fairfield Inn & Suites in Fresno
- 6 nights of wilderness tent camping (permits included)
- All group gear including stoves, cookware, water filters, group first aid kit, etc.
- Personal backpacking gear provided by request: backpacks, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, trekking poles, and tents
- Day 2 private shuttle from Fresno to starting trailhead
- Day 8 private shuttle from ending trailhead to Fresno
- Starting with breakfast on Day 2 and ending with lunch on Day 8
- Backcountry gourmet meals including trail snacks
- Hot tea or coffee served each morning
A Few More Notes
Travel & Logistics
This trip begins and ends at the Fairfield Inn & Suites in Fresno, CA. The hotel is conveniently located across the street from the Fresno Yosemite International Airport and provides a complimentary shuttle service from the airport if needed. Plan to arrive at the hotel before 6pm so you can meet your guides and group for your trip orientation. If you are driving to Fresno, you are welcome to leave your vehicle parked at the hotel during your trip for no additional fee. At the end of the trip, a private shuttle will pick up the group in Yosemite Valley and will drop off at the Fresno airport or at the Fairfield Inn & Suites. We recommend booking flights no earlier than 6pm on the last day.
About the packstock
Mules will be carrying all of our equipment and your personal gear each day. We won’t be hiking with the mules and perhaps not even camping with them depending on the day. You will need to pack your personal belongings (not including tent, sleeping bag & pad) efficiently into one mid-sized compression sack or duffel as outlined in our pre-trip materials, weighing no more than 15 pounds. You are welcome to pack anything extra in your daypack.
Training & Preparation
- Endurance, cardio, and aerobic activities
- Core and leg strength (don’t forget those abs and quads)!
- Day hikes (10-12 miles) or short overnight trips to train for both the physical and mental aspects of backcountry travel
- Cycling, running, step-master or stairs are great cross-training
- Include hilly terrain and steep climbs whenever possible
What's not included
- Personal clothing & footwear
- Dinner on the first night in Fresno
- Recommended 10%-20% gratuity for guides and 3% of packers
- Voluntary or involuntary evacuations
- Trip Insurance
M. Hardy, 2021
Harrison H, 2018
Cheryl E, 2016
Brijesh B, 2011
Sims R, 2013