The Red Peak Pass Loop is a 52-mile route through the heart of Yosemite. It spends equal time the most remote and also most iconic regions of the park. Highlights include the rugged Red Peak Pass, hiking alongside the cascading “Wild and Scenic” Merced River, and a lakeside camp beneath the ice fields of the stunning Ottoway Lakes Basin. Expect challenging days, incredible scenery, and memories that will last a lifetime.
2023: $2295 per person
Price based on shared hotel occupancy
Single Room Supplement:
Requested $165, Forced $80
Explore Custom Trip Options
- 1st night’s lodging at Curry Village in Yosemite National Park
- 5 nights of wilderness tent camping (permits included)
- All group gear including stoves, cookware, water filters, group first aid kit, etc. Each person carries a small portion of this gear.
- Personal backpacking gear provided by request: backpacks, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, trekking poles, and tents
- Day 2 shuttle to starting trailhead from Yosemite Valley
- Starting with lunch on Day 2 and ending with breakfast and hearty snacks on Day 7
- Backcountry gourmet meals including trail snacks. Each person carries a full bear can of food shared among the group.
- Hot tea or coffee served each morning
A Few More Notes
Travel & Logistics
Your trip begins and ends at Curry Village in Yosemite Valley, CA. Plan to arrive before 6pm so you can meet your guides and group for your trip orientation. We recommend driving to Curry Village, although public transportation is also an option (see notes about public transportation below). We’ll return to Yosemite Valley by 1pm on the last day of your trip.
Training & Preparation
To ensure the most enjoyable and successful experience out on the trail, we recommend a rigorous training plan leading up to your trip, focusing on:
- Endurance, cardio, and aerobic activities
- Core and leg strength (don’t forget those abs and quads)!
- Day hikes or short overnight trips with a weighted pack (30-35lbs) to train for both the physical and mental aspects of backpacking
- Cycling, running, step-master or stairs are great cross-training
- Include hilly terrain and steep climbs whenever possible
We strongly encourage having recent backpacking experience or practice before embarking on this trip. The most successful people on these trips have completed a previous backpacking trip carrying a fully weighted pack (30-35 lbs) for 3-5 days. If you do not have this experience, we recommend having a comparable level of fitness and committing to a detailed training plan. You could also consider joining us on a “shake-out” trip prior to the Red Peak Pass Loop.
This trip (and all trips departing from Yosemite trailheads) are not guaranteed until 24 weeks in advance when the permits become available to reserve. We strongly recommend waiting to book flights and other reservations until it is confirmed. Our office will notify you immediately of any updates.
Public Transportation to Yosemite
If you prefer not to drive to Yosemite Valley, public transportation is available for this trip. Yosemite Area Regional Transportation (YARTS) is the sole provider for the surrounding Yosemite area. We recommend reserving a ticket online ahead of time. Please make sure that you choose a time from your location that will have you arriving in Curry Village, Yosemite Valley by the latest 6 pm for your trip orientation (we recommend arriving around 4 pm to check in to your tent cabin first). Note that at the end of your trip, you will be back to Curry Village and done with lunch around 1 pm, so plan departure times accordingly.
What's not included
- Personal clothing & footwear
- Dinner on the first night in Yosemite Valley
- Recommended 10%-20% gratuity for guides
- Trip Insurance (strongly recommended)
- Voluntary or involuntary evacuations
Ghillie B, 2015