This trip will take you to the summit of two of the most spectacular and famous summits in Yosemite National Park. On our trek we will explore the Tuolumne backcountry, backpack over the summit of Clouds Rest (9,926′), climb to the summit of Half Dome (8,845′), travel down a section of the John Muir Trail and see the breathtaking Vernal and Nevada waterfalls all in a long weekend format!
2024: $1995 per person
Prices based on shared room occupancy
Single Room Supplement:
Requested $175, Forced $88
Explore Custom Trip Options
- 1st night’s lodging at Curry Village in Yosemite National Park
- 3-4 nights of wilderness tent camping (permits included)
- All group gear including stoves, cookware, water filters, group first aid kit, etc.
- Personal backpacking gear provided by request: backpacks, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, trekking poles, and tents
- Day 2 shuttle to starting trailhead from Yosemite Valley
- Starting with lunch on Day 2 and ending with lunch on Day 5
- Backcountry gourmet meals including trail snacks
- Hot tea or coffee served each morning
A Few More Notes
Travel & Logistics
Your trip begins and ends at Curry Village in Yosemite Valley, CA. Plan to arrive before 6pm so you can meet your guides and group for your trip orientation. We recommend driving to Curry Village, although public transportation is also an option (see notes about public transportation below). We’ll return to Yosemite Valley by 1pm on the last day of your trip.
Training & Preparation
This trip is rated as moderate and is designed to be a beginner-friendly backpacking trip. You will be carrying a 30-35 lb backpack for 3 days of the trip and should plan to come well prepared. While you will be able to leave your full backpack at camp when you hike to the summit of Half Dome and Clouds Rest, it is still a strenuous trail and a physically demanding day.
In training, you’ll want to focus on leg strengthening using a combination of gym workouts, stair climbing, and hiking in your local area with a fully weighted pack. We recommend hiking in the boots you plan to wear and to feel comfortable with your personal clothing and gear.
With the Half Dome permitting regulations in place since 2013, coupled with a huge increase in demand for fewer permits, itineraries may be subject to slight changes and different trailheads may be used to make sure we can climb Half Dome. The permit we receive dictates whether the trip will be 4 days or 5 days. All departures including Half Dome are not guaranteed until 24 weeks in advance when the permits become available to reserve. We will let you know immediately of any updates.
Public transportation to Yosemite
If you prefer not to drive to Yosemite Valley, public transportation is available for this trip. Yosemite Area Regional Transportation (YARTS) is the sole provider for the surrounding Yosemite area. We recommend reserving a ticket online ahead of time. Please make sure that you choose a time from your location that will have you arriving in Curry Village, Yosemite Valley by the latest 6 pm for your trip orientation (we recommend arriving around 4 pm to check in to your tent cabin first). Note that at the end of your trip, you will be back to Curry Village and done with lunch around 1 pm, so plan departure times accordingly.
What's not included
- Personal clothing & footwear
- Dinner on the first night in Yosemite Valley
- Recommended 10%-20% gratuity for guides
- Trip Insurance (strongly recommended)
- Voluntary or involuntary evacuations
Joan S, 2018
Miranda R, 2015